Wednesday, April 15, 2020

The Poop Stops Here.

When you raise alpacas you find out that they are fairly straight forward to care for.  There are however a couples of things that can sneak up on you.

One of those things is parasites.  They are silent killers. While cleaning the nursery this morning I spied with my little eye some runny poop spots.  Crias are very susceptible to parasites as there bodies start building their own immunities and stop relying on what they received from their mothers colostrum.  None of the crias will claim it.  I wandered  around for quite a while, peaking under tails and can find no evidence of who is the owner.  No mess on anyone’s legs, no mess under anyone’s tail, nothing to give me a hint to who the little plops belong too.

Now what?  I guess I become a super duper poop detective.  Not my idea of fun!  With 12 little crias running around there are lots and lots of suspects.

Do I have a game plan? Yes and no.

I could glove up and investigate each little suspect, up close and personal......they are so little that is not not fun for anyone.
I could lock each cria up with its mom, one at a time and see what drops.
I could go out before dawn and turn the lights on and then try to watch each paca poo.
Hmmmm I guess the poop stops here...... Stay tuned I give you the scoop on the poop.......
BE WELL & STAY SAFE😊

No comments:

Post a Comment

Because that is who I am.

I love owning and working on a small farm, Because that is who I am. I love the connection with the animals, Because ...