Saturday, April 11, 2020

Why not Alpaca’s?

We are into our 4th week of social distancing.  Wow has it been that long?  One nice thing that has happened is that I have taken a lot of time to think about my blessings.  One thing I am so thankful for is the alpacas that I share my life with.  We have so many visitors pull along the lane in front of the farm and visit the Alpacas.  I have received many notes and messages telling us how much joy these guys have brought to many people.  I am grateful that I have had the opportunity raise these special creatures.  Honestly in some of the hardest times in my life these guys have saved me.

It always surprises me when people ask me, Why Alpacas?  I always think in the back of my mind, Why Not?  Are they not amazing?  There are so many positives that one experiences because of these guys both spiritually and emotionally.  For one thing I thrive on working with animals, I thrive on working outdoors on the farm.  And honestly have you looked at them?   You have to admit they are UNIQUE, curious, darling, funny, gentle, MAGICAL, SPIRITUAL, challenging and rewarding.

When I stand in the middle of my farm with visitors I tell them to listen.  Listen to the silence or sometimes the sweet humming sound they make.  I tell them to feel the atmosphere that permeates the farm.  Sometimes I tell them to notice the smell or the lack there of, as far as livestock goes alpacas don’t have an overpowering nasty  smell.

Have you ever noticed that it is hard to stay upset or sad around these wonderful, intuitive creatures.  When I have been sad or devistated about something in my life, I can go out and sit quietly in one of the alpaca pens and before you know it a soft nose will brush my cheek or a tiny cria will start nibbling on the hem of my coat.

Sometimes it can be heartbreaking when you loose one but for the most part it is a wonderful life style.

I have had to learn many new things and make hard decisions owning alpacas.  Many vets are not super knowledgeable about them, they are just different enough that you need to Empower yourself and learn everything you can.  But even with all the challenges they are worth every minute of your time.

So honestly, Why Alpacas?  I say Why Not??

No comments:

Post a Comment

Because that is who I am.

I love owning and working on a small farm, Because that is who I am. I love the connection with the animals, Because ...